Thursday, May 12, 2011

Meet Selective Potential

Meet Tieka, the charming gal behind Selective Potential! ♥ After she graduated, she found her dream job as a graphic designer and created her blog to showcase her style and life adventures.
It feels like only a little while ago I was wishing I’d be a graphic designer someday, be comfortable with my body image and have a style I was proud of. After working so hard to graduate, land a career, build my fashion blog and lose 35 pounds, I mean… how can I not be proud? It was all hard work, but gosh, it was so worth it. Every second! -Tieka
Tieka is an inspiration, and we admire her genuine heart and sense of style. We hope you love her responses just as much as we do! ♥

Your name is unique and beautiful! How did your parents think of it?
It’s so funny when people ask, but I don’t have a unique story behind my name! Just something my crazy mom thought up when I was born. It feels like it was meant to be though, you know? I can’t imagine not having a unique name and not being a ‘tieka’. Strange feeling!

What do you love about Michigan? Would you ever live anywhere else?
I love so much about Michigan – most importantly the great lakes and our beaches, but I love the lighthouses, the unique tourist spots, the small town, Midwestern feel, the art, the food, the scenery. I mean, it’s so beautiful here and most people don’t even realize! I always thought I’d love to live somewhere else someday – especially San Francisco or Chicago – but I’m so content with traveling all over and staying put here!

Tell us about Brett. ♥  
Aw, swoon! Brett is my amazing husband – of almost 4 years! We met when he was a drummer in a punk band and I used to stalk their every show. We became such great friends and when we finally started dating, we were engaged 6 months later and married 6 months after that. Whirlwind romance! We have so much fun together, we’re best friends, I can’t imagine life without him! Plus… he’s a great photographer! ;)

What’s your daily weekday like?
My daily weekday is very busy. I work full-time as a graphic designer for a communications company, so that’s the majority of my day. So by the time I get out, I have to rush to grab dinner with Brett, grab outfit shots, upload, post, blog, catch up on emails and try to squeeze in time to read some of my personal favorite blogs. It’s definitely busy, but I mean, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m having so much fun that I don’t consider any of it work. I do have to remind myself daily to breathe though. :)

What are your wardrobe necessities?
My wardrobe wouldn’t be complete with a couple… well maybe more than a couple… floral dresses! I also live off chunky belts, wood platforms and cardigans to pull a lot of my looks together. I’m really inspired by personal style bloggers that are a lot like I am. They are a huge inspiration for why I’ll purchase something, or try something new. I have a magnetic board full of tons of print outs from bloggers – I think that’s why I love blogging so much too. It gives real girls inspiration to step outside the box.

Any favorite items on Ruche right now?
http://www.shopruche.com/chelsea-crew-malibu-green-heels-p-6852.html (These green t-straps are so cute and would look adorable with a white summer dress!)
http://www.shopruche.com/lorelai-victoria-crossbody-bag-p-6843.html (I’m all about a cross-over bag, especially while riding my scooter!)
http://www.shopruche.com/bring-me-flowers-floral-dress-p-6891.html (It’d be unnatural for me to not include a sleeved floral print dress. SO CUTE!)
http://www.shopruche.com/sweet-green-tea-scalloped-shorts-p-6800.html (I’m swooning over these scalloped green-tea shorts. These would be perfect for the warm-weather days ahead!)

Annnnd if you’re willing to admit it, what’s your guilty pleasure or most embarrassing moment?
Oh gosh, I have too many awful embarrassing moments that make me cringe, so let’s instead go with a guilty pleasure. Buttery (like really buttery) movie theater popcorn. Ugh, I crave it constantly and if I go a week without it, it’s like my body shuts down. Hahaha! We are constantly at the movies and we are not proud to admit that one of the biggest reasons is because we have the buttery popcorn! It’s something I never ever count calories for ;)

Thank you, Tieka!

xo,
Ruche

4 comments:

beautyparler said...

Love discovering new blogs!! Thanks for sharing:)

Shewearscrazywell said...

She is so right...the coast of Michigan is lovely...unfortunately I'm in the middle...boo...but the best thing about the middle of Michigan is the horde's of Victorian houses and great antique malls! Lots to love of course! What a sweet post and nice to see another Michigander! Hearts, Janna Lynn

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

Great post! She seems like a doll!

xo.Adiel

P.S. Love the name Tieka and speaking as a person with a unique name, I think it's a pretty awesome thing to have. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love Tieka! She's such an inspiration to me. Thanks for posting such a great interview!

Lidi @ Eclectic Flair